My drive to work normally takes 15 minutes. There are 3 different routes I can take but the drive time for each is basically equal. This morning I went one way and decided, at the last minute, to take a left onto a street I don't normally travel. I was making good time and hopeful that today I would finally break that magical quarter-hour barrier (men are crazy like that). As I neared the office I saw a car with flashing lights, and a man standing on the shoulder of the road, talking on his mobile phone. "I should probably stop to help," was my first thought, quickly followed by, "Nah, he has a cell, he'll be fine" and off I went. I got about half a mile down the road and that little nagging voice said, "You really should have stopped." A quick u-turn, another u-turn and I was pulling up behind the car.
The gentleman smiled nervously when I asked him if he needed help. He edged closer to the passenger side of the car and I noticed a lady, presumably his wife, and small girl, his daughter, sitting inside. I asked again, this time speaking slower, if he needed help and he nodded and said his tire was flat. Switching on the hazards, I stepped out of my car and walked over to inspect. The front tire was indeed flat...and mangled. The gentleman, Prikash, turned about to be a Nepali refugee and he'd never had a flat before. We messed around and found a spare tire, lug wrench and jack in the trunk. As we worked together to change the tire, we talked about life in America, his job and family, and other things two men working side-by-side discuss. His wife, daughter in arms, stood behind us and watched, laughing at our mistakes, and giving instructions in Nepali and asking questions about my family.
After 30 minutes of wresting with poorly designed tools, we had the spare (nearly flat itself) installed and I followed Prikash back to his home to ensure he got back safely. They were grateful, and of course they invited our family to come eat a "real Nepali" meal at their home soon. As I drove toward the office I couldn't help but be grateful. Although I didn't listen to the voice in my head the first time God didn't give up on me. Like usual, it took me a couple times to head in the right direction and like always, He gave me a second chance. I can't wait to hang out with my new friends, and eat some homemade momos and chicken curry and....
So glad He gives us do-overs! I know that family was so grateful for your kindness. I often think about the seemingly random choices that we all make every day (like deciding at the last minute to take one route over another) and how they are not random at all, but a part of a much bigger plan.
ReplyDelete