Thursday, August 7, 2014

7August2014 Reflectors & Radiators

Moses came back down the mountain.  If you'll remember, this was the second time.  His first trip was a hurried retreat, caused by the impropriety of his people involving melted down jewelry, idolatry and a very public, community-wide lapse into sin.  Two broken stone tablets, a bunch of gold flavored milkshakes, and 3,000 corpses later, he headed back up the mountain. 
So Moses went back up the mountain and spent 40 more days and nights in the presence of the LORD.  Then something amazing happened (like all of that isn't amazing enough).  Moses was physically changed by the time spent with God.  He glowed because of his personal, face-to-face exposure to the glory of God.  Awesome!  We're talking BEAMING RADIANCE and he didn't even know it.  Mose came back down the mountain and the people, including his very own brother, were afraid of him.  To the point that he had to put a veil over his face when talking with them. 
As the original word {karan,} signifies to shine out, or dart forth, as horns on the head of an animal, or rays of light reflected from a polished surface, we may suppose that the heavenly glory which filled the soul of this holy man, darted out from his face in coruscations, in the manner in which light is generally represented. The Vulgate renders it, {et ignorabat quod cornuta esset facies sua,} "and he did not know that his face was horned;" which version, misunderstood, has induced painters to represent Moses with two very large horns, one proceeding from each temple! Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Looking back on my notes, I wrote these words when I studied this passage last month:
...It was to the point that Moses had to cover his face in order for the people to not be mortified.  He would put a veil over the glow when talking to the people but uncover it when talking to the LORD.  Oh Lord!  I want the type of relationship with You that I can take off the mask, even the one I use in ministry situations and be who I am in You!  Forgive me for when I’ve been fake or guarded with You.  I want to SHINE. 
Amen!  That's still my/our prayer today.  We want to abide in the Father to the point that His glory reflects and radiates from us.  May we shine for Jesus!

"You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matt.5:13-16 ESV
 

No comments:

Post a Comment