So they hailed the first yellow sedan that passed by and climbed in, D sitting in the passenger seat, and the three volunteers sat in the back. She told him where they wanted to go and turned to look out the window. But their driver didn't want to follow the script.
He started talking to D, but not in a creepy way. Their conversation went like this:
Y (In English): My name is Yasser. Do you speak Arabic?
D In Arabic): Yes, but just a little.
Y (continuing in Arabic): Where are you from?
D: America but I live here with my husband and family.
Y: Your Arabic is pretty good.
D: Thank you. I am trying to learn but it's very difficult for me.
Y: You should talk to my daughter. She's very good with languages.
D: I would like that. What's your daughter's name?
Y: Sarah
D: That's a beautiful name.
Y: My wife is a Christian and she wanted our daughter to have a Christian name.
D: Oh, are you a Christian?
Y: No, I'm not a Christian or a Muslim but I was taught since I was a boy and believe in the miracles of Jesus. In my hometown, Nazareth, they march a light through the town at Christmas and talk about Jesus being the Light. I try to live a good life and do good, not by this religion or that religion but with light in me.
D: But if you don't have Jesus in your heart, if you don't follow Him then all the good you do in this life means nothing when you die.
Y: I know this. I have Christian friends and Muslim friends. My Muslim friends ask me 'Are you Christian?' because of things I have on my Facebook page. God says to love all people so that's what I do.
They arrived at their destination and D paid the fare but before she got out of the taxi she made a promise.
D: I will pray for you, Yasser. I will pray that Jesus will appear to you in your dreams and call you to Himself. You are a good man but you still need Jesus.
Y: Okay, that will be good.
So, we ask you to join us in praying for Yasser and for others just like him who know about Jesus but don't know Jesus. And we ask you to pray for more opportunities to share, even outside our comfort zone with our neighbors.
You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 'Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.' Matt5:14-16
No comments:
Post a Comment