"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How
do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no
going back?" Frodo Baggins The Return of the King
It's been two months now since the U.S. custom agents checked my passport and with a pleasant smile said, "Welcome home." I cant tell you how many times we've been told that in the last eight weeks. Honestly, please bear with me when I say this, I cringe a little every time I hear it. I know, right! That sounds so harsh.
"Welcome home!'
Am I crazy? How could something so warm, so well meaning, so...innocuous cause such a reaction? I'm even blogging about it for Pete's sake. Here's the thing. We love this place and certainly love our friends and family, much more than the place, but it just doesn't feel like home. Waffle fries? Check! Water pressure? Check! Green grass, green trees...green everything? Check! And dont get me started on the unbelievable availability of grocery options. The other day D sent me to the store to pick up some milk and I stood staring, mouth agape, at shelves upon shelves full of Pop Tart flavors, there must have been a hundred and I must have looked like an idiot. I digress...this really is a wonderful place to be BUT is it home?
Throughout Scripture, followers of Jesus are referred to as foreigners, pilgrims, exiles and even aliens. Why? Because this place, this terra firma, on which we currently tread is not our home. As Philippians 3:20 states, "our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 2:19 says it like this, "you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God." So maybe it's not so odd to feel this way? Maybe, just maybe, the feeling that we are wrestling with is not so weird? Maybe we were created this way?
So, thank you for caring about us. And thank you for loving our family to ask, "Are you happy to be back home?" Please dont be offended when I respond, "We'll let you know when we get there."
Addendum
This topic has me thinking of the old hymn, I'm Bound for the Promised Land. I prefer the Johnny Cash version.
No comments:
Post a Comment