Wednesday, February 12, 2020

12February2020 ...even with our words


It was a beautiful smile.   You know, one of those brief moments when the fleshly façade is wiped away and you get a brief glimpse directly into someone’s soul.  There was gratitude to be sure and joy as well but there was a tint of something else, surprise or shock even.  What really amazed me was the small traces of water that welled up in the corner of his eyes.  Men don’t do that and they definitely don’t do that here. 
Earlier this week, I bumped into one of my old ESL students.  We stood on a busy corner, talking about his life, his family, what’s going on at work, future plans and the like.  Suddenly it struck me, he was speaking so well!  His English flowed, the vocabulary was strong, only a couple of grammatical mistakes, and we understood completely.  I was a bit proud but honestly my friend had done all the work to improve his language skills and it was evident.  I stopped, slapped him on the back and said, “Wow!  Your English is really good.  I can tell you’ve been studying and practicing.”  His response was priceless.  No, it was beautiful. 
I’ve been thinking about that exchange the last couple of days.  It took nothing, just a few positive words, one brief conversation, to encourage my friend-to brighten his day.  I wonder how many opportunities lately I have missed to do the same for others?  What a great reminder to speak love, to encourage, to be Jesus to those around us.  May He entrust us with more opportunities and find us obstinately obedient to His command to love our neighbors...even with our words.    

Like apples of gold in settings of silver Is a word spoken at the right time.
Prov.25:11 AMP

No comments:

Post a Comment