Tuesday, August 4, 2020

4August2020 Quickthought: Dadvice


I recently tumbled across this YouTube channel called Dad, how do I?.  The creator shoots videos of dad advice for those without fathers or whose dads did not or were unable to teach them certain life skills.  There's how-to's about car care, plumbing, grilling and other very practical, necessary topics.  The videos are great but the comments read like a commentary on our society.  Here are a couple examples:
  • "You got this, I'm proud of you." Words I've never heard from my biological dad. Swear you made me shed a tear."
  • "You have no idea how much it means to hear someone say “Hey kids” especially for those who never knew their Dads."
  • "It’s tough not even knowing your dads name Or what he looks like I love you man thank you for being able to teach me many things since the beginning."

As I was reading in Proverbs today, the opening verse of chapter 4 reminded me of these videos.  "Hear, O sons, a father's instruction, and be attentive, that you may gain insight, for I give you good precepts; do not forsake my teaching.  Much of Proverbs, or the Bible for that matter, is like receiving life advice from our Father.  You might not have a daddy or you father might be unwilling or unable to teach spiritual truths but God has given us His word, a father's instruction, so we can navigate this thing called life.  What a gift of grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment