Sunday, November 3, 2024

November 3, 2024 RamblingThought: The Goat

It likely originated around debates regarding sporting superstars.  My first recollection was in heated discussions on whether Michael Jordan, in his prime, was a better player than Lebron James, with fans referred to their particularl favorite as the G.O.A.T. or greatest player of all time.  It's pretty silly debate really, not particularly one to fight about, especially since 23 was the best. :)
Recently the use of the phrase seems to have changed in meaning.  It's not necessarily about being the best but more about a preference or a positive opinion about something.  Jack is goat, or Gladiator was the goat, Ed Sheeran is my goat, or that cheeseburger was the goat.  I've also heard it used as a verb as in, he/she/they/it was goated.  Recently our youngest son has taken to saying Dad youre my goat.  Hopefully that it's a positive thing.  Not as in, "You're an old goat." (While potentially true it's not exactly flattering) but like, "Dad I think you're great." (Which has a way better ring to this old goat's ears.)  Anyway, more to the point, I recently read the account of Jesus' baptism.  Remember the scene?  John is immersing people in the Jordan and Jesus came down to the River.  John looked up and saw Him and proclaimed these words.  "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world."  He didnt say "There's the GOAT." but rather, "There's the Lamb." While Jesus is undoubtably the greatest of all time, The baptizer labeled him The Lamb.   So, I dont want to be the goat anymore.  I'd rather be called a sheep, following a Shepherd that was called a lamb and is legitimately and eternally the Greatest of All Times.  

No comments:

Post a Comment