Sunday, June 21, 2009

21June2009 The Kids' Perspective Part I - Firstborn

Just like any other parent making a big decision, one of the first questions we asked at the onset of this process was "What about the kids?" Yes, there are great concerns about their adjustment, safety, education, emotional well-being, etc., etc. We unequivocally believe that being able to witness our faithfulness to a calling, having them understand that we will be a family no matter what postal code we dwell in and giving them the opportunity for a wonderfully expanded worldview greatly exceeds those concerns.
To share their perspective we asked each kid some questions. Here are a few of S's responses:
What are some of the good things about moving?
We're going to be working on the same team with our friends (J & R). I'm excited about our new school. I will meet a lot of new friends.
What are some not so good things about moving?
Okay, there's one thing, Maddy (our 14 year old Weimaraner). I don't want to leave her. I don't want to leave any of our family in KY and NC. Also, I will miss our family and friends.
Anything scary?
No, not really.
What one thing will you miss the most?
My bike.
What are some of the things you're going to make sure you pack?
My teddy bear, legos, paper for drawing and writing letters and my light saber (not sure about that getting through customs).
Anything else about your new life overseas?
I can't think of anything. (With a big grin) It's going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment