![]() | ||||
| S (in German soccer uniform) with his dream car (a German beauty). |
I admit it can be a little....much. Buses and taxis everywhere, cars, SUVs and delivery trucks weaving in and out of traffic. Throw in oblivious pedestrians darting across the road and an occasional donkey or even a flock of sheep and you've got a full blown circus. The worse part is a toss up between not having any lanes (there are painted lines on the pavement but they are apparently for decoration) and the roundabouts or traffic circles. There is an art to making it through a circle without ticking off all the other drivers and your vehicle remaining in one piece.
Now comes the confession part. I like driving here. That in itself is not bad but the reason for liking it is where forgiveness is needed. You see I have become very contextual in my driving style, D says a bit TOO contextual. Things like going too fast or following too closely or creating new lanes at stoplights or liberal use of the horn, etc. seem to occur all too often. It seems living a life of grace doesn't always apply when I get behind the steering wheel. So I'm making this confession and asking for you to remember me when you get behind the wheel today. And don't forget to buckle up!

Hear, hear, I believe in contextual driving. We want to be cultural sensitive to these rules of the road. Driving in Thailand is similar. Lane lines are suggestions only along with the signs. Also, add in all the motorbikes who are oblivious to the the 2000 pound vehicle they pull out in front of. We love driving in our country as well. May Grace abound for us as well. Craig and Renee
ReplyDelete