Tuesday, January 25, 2011

24January2011 Call

As I write this post the call to prayer is resounding across our city.  The minarets' song is beckoning millions to stop what they're doing, turn their focus to God and pray.  The adhan (call) is as follows:
  • Allahu Akbar. Allahu Akbar. God is great.
  • Ash-hadu an la ilaha ill-Allah. I witness that there is none worthy of worship but God.
  • Ash-hadu anna Muhammad-ar-Rasoolullah.  I witness that Muhammad is God's messanger.
  • Hayya 'alas-Salah. Hayya 'alas-Salah. Rise up, come to prayer.
  • Hayya 'alal-falah. Hayya 'alal-falah. Rise up for salvation.
  • Allahu Akbar. Allahu Akbar. God is great.
  • La ilaha ill-Allah.  There is no god but God.*
You may not agree with 100% of what the muezzin (caller) is saying but its certainly a great reminder, even if it's not 5 times per day where you live, to change our focus from the temporary to the eternal and pray. 

* Note the pre-dawn call adds "To pray is better than to sleep."  

No comments:

Post a Comment