Sunday, April 6, 2014

6April2014 Lent: Sound & Sodas

I've never really done the Lent thing.  Not lint, that stuff that magically appears in the dryer filter after fluffing your towels.  Lent, the solemn observance that some believers make 40 days before Easter usually marked by fasting of some sort, repentance and prayer.  The purpose is to set aside time for reflection on Jesus' suffering, His life, His sacrifice/death, burial and resurrection.
This year my feeble attempt has been to stop drinking sodas (a bad habit picked up when we moved back to the States) and refrain from listening to the radio (something that happens for hours on end as I go from appointment to appointment throughout the week).  Really, giving up a carbonated drink or two hasn't made much of an impact but this whole no music thing has.  It hasn't been the absence of tunes but the injection of silence into my daily life that has made the difference.  
For the last couple weeks I have spent more time talking with God....and listening than I have in a while.  It seems the noise of the day-to-day has been drowning out His often still-small-voice and that gap has been filled with other things, sometimes great things but other things nonetheless. You should try it.  Unplug a bit.  Turn off the K-Love and have a conversation with your Creator.  You'll thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment