“55 years wasted.
What is there to show for it?”
That’s a heck of a perspective given the number of wars alone Yacob has
survived. He didn’t seem very
grateful. Instead he was bitter. Not the answer you expect when you ask a
man about his life, especially a believer.
Honestly he looked a lot older than his self professed
age. Five and a half decades had
given his face the texture of eight wale corduroy, especially around his
eyes. Years of chain-smoking
Winston knockoffs hadn’t helped matters.
Day after day behind the taxi’s wheel in the often congested and always
stressful traffic of Beirut had taken their toll as well. Yacob was much older than his birth
certificate indicated.
For over an hour, in a bumper to bumper, at times bumper on bumper, logjam, my driver railed
against the, social injustices, financial woes, political corruption and even
the food quality of his homeland.
To make matters worse, he got lost trying to find the ancient coffee
shop I had my sights on. How could
a eighty-one year-old caffeine purveyor be this difficult to find! Surely he would blow a gasket. Rather he looked to me to see my
reaction. Rather than getting
angry I just smiled. “Maffi
mushkala,” (No problem) I said, “Let’s go somewhere else.” He couldn’t believe it and he actually
smiled.
For another hour he told funny stories, slapped me on the
knee and talked about how happy he was to have me in the car. To top it off, rather than taking me to
my next destination, he pulled up to a coffee shop and forbid me to part ways
from him without allowing him to buy me a real
cup of coffee.
As I bid him adieu, Yacob clasped my hand like old friends,
gave me a business card, on which he scribbled his home phone number, and pled
call him when I came back to town.
Not sure what happened in our brief time together that
changed Yacob from grumpy old man to jovial, friendly jokester but I think it
had something to do with being willing to listen, laughing off getting lost and
sharing a good cup of coffee together.
Maybe those three things could go a long way to creating peace in the
Middle East?

No comments:
Post a Comment