Wednesday, June 18, 2014

18June2014 Bunny Logic

I love early morning walks!  It's cooler, there is less traffic and usually there is no one out, except for birds, squirrels and rabbits.  Lately there have been lots of rabbits.
This morning, as I was trudging around the circle something interesting occurred.  I happened upon one of my little bunny buddies.  He was so intently munching clover in a neighbor's yard that he didn't notice me approaching...until I got within 15 feet of him.    Apparently the sight of a bearded, sweating, huffing barbarian lumbering toward him was more than he could bear.  He took off, zigging and zagging down the road, stopping 75 yards away on a grass island, surrounded by pavement, with a huge magnolia tree directly behind him.  Mr. Rabbit crouched down in tall grass, apparently hoping that I wouldn't notice him.  He was completely unaware that directly behind him, maybe 10 feet away, under the branches of that magnolia tree, was a cat.  As the bunny was staring at me the cat was staring at him...and he was thinking "Breakfast is served!"  I just knew at any second the cat was going to pounce, so as I got closer I walked off the road and toward Mr. Rabbit.  As if on cue he bounded in the opposite direction, into the woods, and out of the range of the cat.  If looks could kill that cat's icy gtare would've sent me straight to the morgue.  I chuckled and returned to me walk.
The bunny's behavior got me thinking about worrying.  He was so worried about me, a complete non issue that he didn't realize true danger, imminent death was right behind him.  That's precisely how worry is.  We spent sleepless nights, countless hours thinking about something that we think it going to hurt us.  In reality, the most harmful things come either completely unannounced or never at all.  In Luke chapter twenty-six, Jesus deals with the topic of worry.  He states, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?  Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.  For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek His kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well."
So the key to worry is adjusting our focus.  Not dwelling on the temporary things but on His Kingdom.  Don't waste your life, and gain an ulcer, by fretting over things that either don't matter or are temporary.   God's got it under control.  He can handle it.
Some great quotes on worry:
  • "My life has been filled with calamities, some of which actually happened."  Mark Twain
  • "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." Charles Schultz."
  • "Worry is interest paid on trouble before it is due." William R Inge
  • "If you see ten troubles coming down the road, you can be sure that nine will run into the ditch before they reach you." Calvin Coolidge



 

No comments:

Post a Comment