It started out as a discussion about the World Cup. Many great conversations start out about futbol/soccer. Somehow we went from Ronaldo to religion. One of my friends is a recent arrival from Darfour. The other came several years ago from South Sudan (before there was a South Sudan). One follows Islam, the other a Christian. They are a study in opposites except for very dark complexions and a love for soccer....and a friendship born of shared struggles and shared experience.
I was asked, "Are you Muslim?" I get that alot. Maybe because I speak some Arabic or because of the beard or because of the five children (apparently there's a rule somewhere against Americans having a bunch of youngins'). My standard rely is, "No, but I love Muslims." This provoked the usual smile and nod. Although I knew the answer I followed up, "Are you two?" One responded in the affirmative, the other emphatically said, "No, I'm a Christian!" "Where do you pray?" I asked. He shook his head, "I don't pray, I don't go to Church but I am a Christian. Before I could say anything his buddy put his hand on his hand and said, "If you say you are a Christian, you should live like a Christian! You party and chase the girls but you don't live right." Bam! Right in the kisser.
There's a Persian proverb that translates roughly, "If you can sing a lullaby, why can't you put yourself to sleep? Basically it means, "Practice what you preach, dude!" That's precisely what my friend was telling his cohort. If you claim to be a believer then live it. Oh how that smacks me square in the face! How often do I profess something with my mouth that's in stark contrast to my actions? How often do the scores of people from around the globe that I interact with see Jesus through me? I know how to lullaby but I have a tough time sleeping.
God help me to practice what I preach. May the Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists and Methodists and atheists I talk to daily see You in me. Please forgive my failures. You know me. Even on my best of days I am bankrupt without Your Spirit. Create a clean heart in me, renew a right spirit in me and help me to live that's changed!
No comments:
Post a Comment