Monday, November 3, 2014

3November2014 Moses' Response

Ever been offended?   This may be the first time I've ever typed "LOL" on this blog but it seems appropriate after such a ridiculous question so, LOL!  Of course you've been offended.  You're breathing aren't you?  How about wounded?  Ever been wounded?  Ever been accused of something?  Ever had your character questioned or maligned?  Surely you have experienced all of these. 
Well I have and I'd love to tell you I responded in a saintly way.  Sure there are have been times when I turned the other cheek but more often than not my initial response wanting to punch someone in the throat.  (Was that too graphic?)
In the sixteenth chapter of Number, Moses' character is called into question. Four knuckleheads incited the whole community to rebellion because they apparently forgot what happened to the ten spies that spread a bad report and incited Israel to rebellion (plague, death and barred from the Promised Land). Birds of a feather stick together.  Just like today, complainers and malcontents gravitate to one another.  These men complained against Moses for bringing misery upon them, standing between them and God and lording over them.  No matter how silly these accusations were, I mean Scripture says Moses was the most humble man on the face of the earth for pete's sake, but it gained traction because, well negativity usually does.  
Look at Moses' initial response when Korah et al rallied against him.
When Moses heard what they were saying, he fell face down on the ground. (Num.16:4)
He didn't come out firing.  He didn't wrap his fingers around Korah's throat and squeeze.  Is this even the same man who killed the Egyptian man for beating a Hebrew slave?  Moses' reaction was humility.  What is yours?  Okay, is that too intrustive?  Let me turn it around.  What is my response?  Remember what happens to Korah and the boys....and their families?  The earth opened up and swallowed them alive..."along with their households and all their followers who were standing with them, and everything they owned." (Num.16:32)
Humility before the Lord is the way to go.  Even in the face of false accusations or mistreatment.  God help us live like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment