In my quiet time I’m still in the Old Testament but I’m 4/5
of the way through the Pentateuch.
This morning I read a….not sure how else to say this…much dreaded
portion of Scripture. Maybe it
doesn’t sound right to say, “I hated reading it!” when referring to the
Word. I just hate what happened
for those involved…and the fact that I can see myself making the same type of
stupid mistakes.
In Numbers, chapter 13, the twelve spies have just returned
from their reconnaissance mission.
Remember, Moses was instructed to put together a team of twelve men, a
leader from each of the twelve tribes, and send them into Canaan to scout out
their new digs. As promised the
land was indeed flowing with milk and honey BUT it was also teeming with
giants. Unfortunately ten of the
twelve spies focused on the resistance, dismissing the reward, and circulated a
bad report. Caleb’s admonition to
trust in the LORD and move forward in faith was drowned out by the doom and
gloom, woe-is-me proclamations of ten naysayers.
Now we come to the dreaded chapter. In Numbers 14 Israel has come to a crossroads
of sorts. They had arrived at the
very cusp of the promised land.
This is a final-breath-before-you-jump-off-the-diving-board moment. Unfortunately Israel chose poorly. They walked right up to the edge of a
blessing and rather than focusing on the unimaginable, clusters of grapes it
took two to carry, they listened to poor council and despised their
inheritance. Where was their faith
in God’s promises? Where was their faith in His presence?
Mercy, how this sounds like me. Maybe that’s why I cringe when I read it. It’s heartbreaking to see how close
they came and yet this one decision costs them so dearly. Not one person from that generation
(aside from Caleb and Joshua), twenty years-old or older entered Canaan. Instead for forty years they wandered
in the wilderness “like shepherds.”
Ever feel like that? Like you’re on the verge of something
great then you listen to the wrong person or maybe you fail to listen to the
right Person? Often so much hinges
on these times of decisions.
Oh God I long to be a man like Caleb. To cling to Your promises. No matter what those around me whisper
or shout, I want to be one, even if it’s the only one, clinging steadfast in
righteousness. I don’t want to
hesitate on the cusp of Your blessings, I want to dive headfirst and take as
many with me as possible. Help me
Father to be that kind of man.
No comments:
Post a Comment